Skin cancer is said to be the most common of all cancers.
Thankfully it also has a high rate of successful treatment when identified in its early stages. There are different types of skin cancer that appear in many forms. Melanoma is one of the most deadly forms and has some unique characteristics It is important to know these 5 signs that can help determine whether that is just a mole or possibly more.
First off make sure to get familiar with every nook and cranny of your body. This way you will notice right away if anything seems out of the ordinary. By performing self exams it makes it easier to know what changes may be going on externally.
Here’s what you should look for. These signs are often referred to as the ABC’s of Melanoma.
- A: Asymmetry — If an imaginary line is drawn though the mole, the halves do not match.
- B: Border — Irregular, uneven borders.
- C: Color — Moles that have several colors or become lighter or darker.
- D: Diameter — Moles larger than the size of a pencil eraser.
- E: Evolving — Moles that itch or bleed, shrink or grow, change color, or have portions that are elevated; or a new growth on the skin.
Not all types of skin cancer can be detected through this method. Always remember to check with your health care practitioner if you notice any changes or feel something might be wrong.
The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this web site is for general information purposes only.