It has never been kept a secret that color plays a major role in setting up a particular mood or state of mind. Not just that though but color therapy has been used as a method of healing as far back as ancient Egypt.
Color therapy is a form of healing and therapy that utilizes different colors to bring about certain intended and desired effects. It is a holistic, non-invasive and powerful therapy which dates back thousands of years, evidence of which can be found in texts from countries like China, India, and Egypt.
Our most important source is light, and the entire spectrum of colors is derived from light. Sunlight contains all the wavelengths and consists of the entire electromagnetic spectrum that we depend on to exist on this planet. Light flows through our eyes and triggers hormone production, which influences our entire complex biochemical system. This system then affects out being. And light does not travel alone, light travels with other energies.
The seven colors of the spectrum correspond to the seven primary energy fields of the human body, Red at the base and violet at the crown. And because color is made up of different wavelengths and frequencies, it will be absorbed not only through the skin and the various fields emanating from the human body, such as morphogenetic fields.
- White promotes healing of body, mind and spirit at all levels; white light is a natural pain reliever, increasing and then maintaining energy levels and relieving depression and inertia. It helps bone and tooth maintenance. It dispels negativity from the body’s energy field.
- Red stimulates the entire system, instantly boosting energy levels and kick-starting a sluggish immune system. Red is linked to reproduction and fertility and relieves menstrual problems, sexual dysfunction especially impotence.
- Orange is a gentle energizer, soothing aching limbs, boosting a weak pulse rate, relieving gallbladder and kidney problems, menstrual and muscle cramps, allergies and lifts exhaustion. Orange is also used to strengthen the immune system.
- Yellow stimulates the nervous system but also calms the digestive system and eases eczema and skin problems; it promotes a healthy metabolism; reduces anxiety and stress-related ailments that may affect the digestive system adversely. It balances emotions and strengthens you if you are over-sensitive.
- Green (Greenery or flowers with unopened buds) strengthens the heart, lungs, and respiratory system and helps to fight infections and viruses, It also counters panic attacks and addictions; good also for the re-growth of tissue and cells.
- Blue is a natural antiseptic, soothing and cooling, lower blood pressure and slowing a racing pulse. It relieves headaches and migraines, eye strain, earache and sore throats.
- Purple is especially potent for healing the spirit, banishing what lies in the past. An all-healer, purple relieves allergies, asthma, sleep disorders, eye, ear, nose and skin problems, and migraines and is a natural sedative. It eases neuroses and obsessions and can aid in childbirth.
- Pink brings relief from ear and gland problems, head pains and psychosomatic illnesses, as well as all disorders relating to children and babies. It is especially good for adolescent girls, pregnant and menopausal women.
- Brown absorbs pain and sorrow, increases physical energy and primal strength, and relieves disorders connected with feet, he legs, the hands, the skeleton, all back pain and also the large intestine.
Color therapy can be used on the body in many different ways, a few common methods are:
- Placing colored silks on the body, or colored clothing.
- The directing of colored light onto the body.
- Drinking solarized water.
- Color Breathing Techniques
- Meditating with specific colors
- Using light boxes to direct color to the body using colored filters.
A general rule of thumb is to place the affected area 12 inches away from the glass, approximately 10-12 inches from your light source if you are inside. Cold colors are the most dramatic to experiment with.
- Red: 5-10 minutes. No more than 10 minutes
- Orange: 5-15 minutes used only for sinus problems.
- Yellow: 15 minutes. As a nerve tonic, 15 minutes is ideal.
- Green: 10-25 minutes. This is the only color that should be utilized for this period of time.
- Blue: 5-15 minutes. Be careful not to over-expose around the head region.
- Indigo: 10 minutes. If using for the eyes 1-5 minutes is sufficient.
- Violet: 5-25 minutes. The only occasion for a 25-minute application would be for the treatment of sciatica.
The beauty of color therapy is it reaches out far beyond the simple aesthetic pleasures, colors provide the ability to manifest an enhanced sense of well-being, primarily psychology but holistically as well.